As a health coach, one of the number one priorities when working with our clients is to make sure their body’s pH is in optimal health. Most people are too acidic, and looking into a lifestyle that will return them to a more alkaline state is one of the first places to start.
Our ideal pH is slightly alkaline – 7.30 to 7.45.
It’s really easy to test your pH. Do you remember those little pieces of litmus paper from science class at school? You can use one of these and lest in in your saliva or urine first thing in the morning before taking on any food or liquids. You can pick these up at the pharmacy.
When looking at your overall health, pH is a great place to start, as many of the natural real foods that we should be eating do have a pH that is closer to our natural state or more Alkaline. Foods include kale, almonds, tomato’s, olives, bananas, avocado, blueberries and mushrooms are just a few examples. Foods in the acidic spectrum tend to be those we should avoid like white breads and flours, refined foods, soda, sweetened fruit juices, roasted nuts but then there are cooked beans, spinach and pasta.
If your diet is high in refined foods, un-natural sweeteners, stimulants and over cooked vegetables, you are likely to fall into an acidic state which can have damaging long term health effects on your body. An acidic pH creates an extremely negative environment that affects all cellular functions in the body.
From your brain to your toes - when our pH is unbalanced almost every area can be affected resulting in cancer, heart disease, weight problems and nervous system issues.
Acid by nature is corrosive – you get the picture.
Our body’s produce acid through daily functions and we are naturally designed to remove it, but if we are adding more acid than can be removed, then we start to see problems.
What can you do to Alkalise your body and become pH balanced?
- Cut out sugar – Fruit is fine in moderation and low GI natural sugar like honey or maple syrup is ok in small amounts
- Get juicing – Drink a raw organic fresh vegetable juice each morning. Avoid adding fruit if you can – bananas or dates are best if you need to sweeten it up a little.
- Cut out seed oils and refined oils – Coconut oil is my recommendation, and olive oil in moderation.
- High quality water – avoid your tap water if it is high in fluoride. We recommend ionized water. You can get filters or great little Alka Jugs that make your water taste amazing!
- Raw foods - Increase your intake of raw foods.
- Eat alkalising foods - Add these highly alkalising foods to your diet, ideally in raw form
- Wheat Grass
- Almond milk
- Sprouted nuts and seeds
- Almonds and brazil nuts
- Sea salt
- Apple cider vinegar
- Barely Grass
- Alfalfa Grass
- Oat Grass
Do you think you might have a pH imbalance?