During this time of year everyone seems to be stuck with a flu or a cold, or avoiding it like the plague. This delicious heart warmer will ward off the "baddies" for sure...and make you look like a pro in the kitchen of course.
Know your nutrients
Some pediatricians believe that Chicken soup may be a better choice than over-the-couter cough and cold medicine. Oh yeah! Thats our kind of doctor!
This soup which is also a bone broth contains minerals from the bones that are not only abundant but easy to assimilate into our bodies. Minerals that will help you stay in optimal health include calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, other trace minerals. The calcium that leaches out of the bones into this soup/stock is ready to be absorbed into your body, the perfect weapon against osteoporosis or weak bones.
The gelatin that is also released from the bones aids digestion. This soup will help your system digest more efficiently, especially milk, meat, beans and grains. This soup is also incredibly frugal! You will save a lot of money making yourself a pot of this, it goes so far. The real salt replaces electrolytes in our bodies and will give you that boost you so need!
This real Chicken soup affects air flow and mucus in peoples noses. This hot fluid help increase the movement of nasal mucus and improves the function of protective cilia, the tiny hairlike projections in the nose that prevent contagions from entering the body. Why would you not make it then?!
- 2 litres chicken broth (we recommend Campbell's chicken real stock)
- 1 litre water
- 1 roast chicken
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, cut into medium dice
- 2 large carrots, cut into rounds or half rounds
- 2 large celery stalks, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Bring broth and water to a simmer over medium-high heat in a large soup pot. Meanwhile, separate chicken meat from skin and bones; reserve meat. Add skin and bones to the simmering broth. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer until bones release their flavor, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Strain broth through a colander into a large container; reserve broth and discard skin and bones. Return kettle to burner set on medium-high.
- Add oil, then onions, carrots and celery. Saute until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add chicken, broth and thyme. Bring to a simmer. (Can be refrigerated up to 3 days in advance. Return to a simmer before adding the extras of your choice.)
Delicious, feel good, healthy soup to soothe everyone's soul!