Start the day right with this energising, punch packing, nourishing combination and reap the rewards at 11am when you don't crave a coffee or something sweet like the rest of your colleagues.
Know your nutrients
Oats are full of protein and slow releasing carbohydrate. As a whole grain you can rest easy knowing that yes, this is one of the good carbs, that will keep you full, provide you with energy for the day and nourish your body. Sesame seeds are full of calcium, for bones, teeth and skin. Pumpkin seeds are jammed with zinc to keep your skin glowing. Sunflower seeds provide you with selenium and vitamin B to energise your day. Keep your bowels regular with the linseed, the vitamin E in the walnuts and the wholegrain goodness of oats and kasha. Chia seeds are a superfood, that will keep you feeling like superman or woman - full of fibre, omega-3's, antioxidants, minerals and blood sugar regulation.
If you make up a large batch, this should last you a few weeks. Alter the amounts of ingredients if you have different preferences. Take control of your day and start with this super starter. You really will notice some amazing benefits if this is where you find you need to begin.
Square One Glowing good day Muesli
- 4 cups organic steel cut oats
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 cups organic coconut thread
- 1 cup Kasha (toasted buckwheat groats)
- 1 cup LSA (linseed, sunflower, almond ground)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup chia seeds
- Your selection of dried fruit if you wish- we leave this one up to you so you are aware of how much sugar you are adding, as dried fruit is sugar. I haven't added any dried fruit, but if I have just been for a big workout then I may add 1/4 cup of dried apricots as they have a low GI and will keep me satisfied for longer.
We recommend soaking this breakfast bliss over night in water or milk of your choice. It will make the oats and chia seeds much easier to digest and the nutrients more absorbing by the body. Before serving simply add some hot water or hot or cold milk to it, or yogurt and top with your favourite fruit if you wish. Enjoy!