Are you starting to crave some warmth this Autumn? We woke up the other day craving some 'yang' foods. As the days become cooler and the nights darker, our bodies seem to crave that warmth that they have lost. It's just so exciting to grab all of your herbs and spices and create a masterpiece! It can sound daunting, but if you follow the basic recipes and just add what you like as you go by taste, you're bound to have a winner.
Know your nutrients
This tasty meal is packed with a huge variety of different herbs right from the coriander seeds you are gaining health benefits such as blood sugar control, digestive aid, eye care and a decrease of skin inflammation. Fennel and onion both contain a high amount of Vitamin C and also boosts calcium and magnesium levels. Turmeric is a huge anti-inflammatory spice, believed to have help cure many auto-immune diseases.
Square One Beans and Beef Curry
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3-4 black peppercorns (or to taste)
- 400g Organic Minced Beef
- 1 cup Red Kidney beans (pre-soaked or canned)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- A generous pinch of cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 3 shallots chopped
- 2 teaspoons green chili paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric (we like turmeric! reduce this amount if you're not used to it)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder or to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons tamari sauce
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk
Dry roast the spices under 'Dry-roast' for 2-3 minutes on low-medium in a pan. Grind and keep. Mix everything under 'marinade' in a medium pan, and add the dry roasted spice mix to it. You can also let the mince marinade in this mix for an hour before cooking if you like. Cook the mince on low until all the liquid is absorbed. Meanwhile in a medium pan, add oil and heat on medium. Add chopped onions and shallots tot he oil and cook until brown.
Add the ginger, garlic, curry and green chili. Mix and cook for 2 minutes. Add chili powder and tamari. Mix and add the mince coated with the spices to this mix, and beans. Add the coconut milk, mix well and cook 4-6 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and spice level.
Serve hot garnished with your favorite fresh herb (we used coriander).
Enjoy. Serves 4